ADAPTIVE RE-USE WITH NEW WORKS
2002 – 2003
Designed by Kent and Massie and erected in two stages from 1921 to 1925, this former headquarters for the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney was a highly significant building in both its civic presence and its function as a bank. The building was substantially altered throughout its tenancy by the National Australia Bank between 1984 and 2001.
The building is listed on the State Heritage Register and is the finest of its type in Sydney with a banking chamber lined with rare Australian marbles.
In 2002, Design 5 – Architects prepared a Conservation Management Plan for those floors formerly leased by the National Australia Bank and oversaw the conservation and adaptive re-use of the banking chamber to a Virgin Megastore at the western end of Martin Place. Works were completed in August 2003.
The adaptation sought to maintain the integrity of the space and the highly significant marble furniture and sections of the marble and bronze teller counters, incorporating them for Virgin’s new music store use. The new fitout is clearly a modern and additional layer within the original space.
The project was undertaken by Design 5 – Architects in collaboration with Virgin’s architects Transonic Architects, from Melbourne.