CONSERVATION AND ADAPTIVE REUSE
2009 – 2011
Taronga Zoo was established on the northern shore of Sydney Harbour in 1916. As part of the ongoing program to sustain and develop this world class zoo, the upper entry precinct is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment in order to provide better fully accessible entry facilities for the large numbers of people who visit the zoo every year.
As part of this redevelopment, Design 5 have been engaged by the Taronga Conservation Society to work with Bligh Voller Nield and document conservation and repair works to the beautiful and highly significant Upper Entrance Building and the former tram shelter. New ticketing facilities, shop, café and toilets will be provided in a new building designed by Bligh Voller Nield, allowing the large spaces within the original entrance building to be reopened to the public.
Works will include the removal of intrusive elements, such as internal partitioning, awnings, verandah enclosures and unsightly plumbing, and reconstruction of some of the missing original details, such as the decorative plasterwork that features many of the animals housed at the zoo and the southern verandah that overlooks the zoo. The original entrance foyer, with its moulded animal heads and decorative terrazzo floor, will also be restored. Other repairs will include works to the large central dome over the entry, the terra cotta shingle and copper roofs, flagpoles and decorative external light fittings. All services will be renewed and upgraded.
The former tram shelter was adapted to provide a new and spacious home at the entrance to the zoo for the Zoo Friends.