Design 5 is regularly called upon to provide heritage advice to client-owners, consultant teams, government bodies and developers because of our practical knowledge, specialist skills and wide-ranging experience in all aspects of existing and new work.
Examples of our involvement include pre-purchase advice, physical analysis to determine integrity of surviving fabric, assessment to establish nature and level of significance, guidelines for adaptive re-use and new work as well as diagnosis and recommendations to rectify building problems.
Design 5 has provided one-off heritage advice (for example, preliminary advice to potential buyer or developer) and has also been retained as heritage consultant for continuing and ad hoc advice (for example, Sydney Opera House Trust).
Conservation Management Planning
Design 5 – Architects has prepared numerous heritage studies and Conservation Management Plans, some of which have been endorsed by the NSW Heritage Office. Many have also been followed through to implementation of works by Design 5.
Some of the Conservation Management Plans and study reports completed by the office include:
- Kinchela Boys Home
- Sydney Opera House
- Readers Digest Building, Surry Hills
- Dyraaba Station, Kyogle
- 42-44 Pitt Street, Sydney
- 185 Elizabeth Street, Sydney
- REVY, Pyrmont
- Taronga Zoo, Mosman
- History House, Macquarie Street, Sydney
- St Scholastica’s, Glebe
- Denbigh, Cobbitty
- Civic Place precinct, Parramatta (in association with Hill Thalis Architects + Urban Projects)
- Cockatoo Island, Sydney Harbour (in association with Godden Mackay Logan)
- Dairy Precinct, Parramatta Park
- East Balmain Foreshore