CONSERVATION WITH NEW WORKS
2012 – 2016
Lennox Bridge is the third oldest surviving masonry bridge in NSW and is a fine example of convict built Colonial Architecture in Australia. The bridge was designed by David Lennox and built between 1836 and 1839. In 1935 the bridge was widened to the west for two additional lanes and replaced the stone parapets on both sides with concrete balustrades.
In association with Hill Thalis Architects, works involved the construction of two portals through the outer abutments of the bridge on either side of the river to facilitate a continuous bicycle and river walk. The project also included reconstruction of the removed original stone balustrade on the eastern side and extensive conservation that involved repointing, desalination and stone repairs. During the course of the works, the remains of an earlier 1804 bridge were revealed and archaeologically preserved.