CONSERVATION MANAGEMENT PLAN
White Bay Power Station at Rozelle was built to supply electrical power to the Sydney railway and tramway system. It was operational between 1917-1983 and was the longest serving power station in metropolitan Sydney. The large industrial site includes a boiler house, turbine hall, switch house, coal handling shed, a rail line spur, two steel chimney stacks and various items of machinery.
Under the owner, Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority, Design 5 were engaged with a multi-disciplinary team to prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) for this site with assistance from archaeologists, engineers and planners.
The CMP sets out the cultural significance of the place and puts in place policies to safeguard that significance and guide future development and changes. Community consultation with stakeholders, including former workers and local communities, was also carried out as part of the process of assessing the place’s social significance. The CMP is a key component of the process for calling Expressions of Interest for the future use and redevelopment of the place.
The CMP includes an extensive inventory and ranking of significance of built structures, spaces, elements and industrial equipment. The development guidelines are graphically illustrated with diagrams showing zones, spaces and elements of significance and options for development potential.
The White Bay Power Station Conservation Management Plan was awarded a National Trust of Australia (NSW) Heritage Award in 2004.