PRACTICE       PROJECTS       CONSULTANCY       PUBLICATIONS       AWARDS       CONTACT
RESIDENTIAL

COMMERCIAL

CULTURAL

EDUCATIONAL

CIVIC

LANDSCAPE

ADAPTIVE REUSE

CONSERVATION

MASTERPLANNING

REPORTS

INTERPRETATION

ST JAMES' CHURCH
Anglican Church at King Street, Sydney

Completion: Ongoing since 2002
Client: The Trustees of St James' Church, Sydney

Conservation with New Works


St James’ Church is the oldest church building in the City of Sydney, consecrated on 11 February 1824, and in continuous use since. Designed by Francis Greenway, it forms part of a highly significant group of Colonial buildings of the Macquarie period which also includes Hyde Park Barracks, Supreme Court, General Hospital and Government House Stables. It has undergone many changes reflecting the development of ecclesiastical thought and practice within the Anglican Church in Australia. The church is a fine example of civic architecture in the Colonial Regency style and remains a focal point in the ecclesiastical and cultural life of the city.

In 2002, Design 5 prepared a Project Plan for the building including condition report, cost plan and program for conservation works which have been completed over the past 10 years. Design 5 were involved in the installation of bells in the church tower, oversaw the conservation of the stained glass/leadlight windows, the mosaic floor of the Chancel, the murals in the Children’s Chapel and the resolution of damp issues in the crypt. A fire services upgrade was completed and spire repairs undertaken in 2008 - 2010. Masonry and roof repairs are currently underway.

Photographs © Christopher Shain and Design 5

Download Project Sheet