ONGOING HERITAGE ADVICE + CMP
2003 – Ongoing
Since appointment as the conservation and heritage advisor to the Sydney Opera House (SOH) in 2003, Design 5 continue to provide advice on a broad range of issues and projects within the House. Design 5 are often an integral part of the broader consultant team for major renewal projects, in what the SOH refers to as the Decade of Renewal. The main renewal projects include:
- Renewal of Box Office Foyer, improved circulation, and DDA upgrades (ongoing).
- Concert Hall: upgrades to stage and backstage, accessibility and acoustics (ongoing).
- The Joan Sutherland Theatre upgrades (complete).
- New Function Centre on ground oor adjacent to the northern broadwalk (ongoing).
- Vehicular Access and Pedestrian Safety (VAPS). This project was the largest modifcation to SOH since its opening in October 1973 (complete).
In 2017, Design 5 completed the fourth edition of the Conservation Management Plan for the Sydney Opera House entitled ‘ Respecting the Vision, Sydney Opera House – A Conservation Management Plan’. This document was authored by Alan Croker, and was awarded a National Trust of Australia (NSW) Heritage Award (Heritage Resources and Publications) in 2018. The CMP accompanies the Utzon Design Principles to help the SOH better understand and protect the vision and intent of architect Jørn Utzon and the contributions made by Peter Hall. The objective of the CMP is to assist the SOH in guiding and managing the many challenges it faces in remaining a world class performing arts venue, a Sydney icon, and a masterpiece of architecture and engineering.