CONSERVATION WITH NEW WORKS
2002 – Ongoing
St James’ Church is the oldest church building in the City of Sydney, consecrated on 11 February 1824, and in continuous use since. Designed by Francis Greenway, it forms part of a highly significant group of Colonial buildings of the Macquarie period which also includes Hyde Park Barracks, Supreme Court, General Hospital and Government House Stables. It has undergone many changes reflecting the development of ecclesiastical thought and practice within the Anglican Church in Australia. The church is a fine example of civic architecture in the Colonial Regency style and remains a focal point in the ecclesiastical and cultural life of the city.
In 2002, Design 5 prepared a Project Plan for the building including condition report, cost plan and program for conservation works to be completed over the next 5-10 years, including repairs to the masonry, spire and roof. Further to this, Design 5 were involved in the installation of bells in the church tower, oversaw the conservation of the stained glass/leadlight windows, the mosaic floor of the Chancel, the murals in the Children’s Chapel and the resolution of damp issues in the crypt. A fire services upgrade has recently been completed and the roof and spire repairs documented.
In 2012 Deisgn 5 developed and implemented a new internal colour scheme and in 2014-15 revised and upgraded lighting and facilities in the crypt.